Propaganda & Persuasion
Propaganda and Persuasion, Fifth Edition
is the only book of its kind to cover a comprehensive history of propaganda and offer insightful definitions and methods to analyze it. Building on the excellence of the four previous editions, the Fifth Edition has been revised and updated. Authors Garth S. Jowett and Victoria O’Donnell provide a remarkable and cogent understanding of persuasion and propaganda, including rhetorical background, cultural studies, and collective memory.
• Offers a comprehensive history of propaganda, from ancient times to present day. Updated research in propaganda and persuasion and the use of propaganda in psychological warfare are also included. New examples to this edition include the global war against terrorism, the 2008 election, and the question of ideological propaganda in a polarized mass media system
• Encourages a systematic approach to analyzing propaganda: An in-depth look at rhetoric, theory, and methodology helps students analyze propaganda
• Differentiates propaganda from persuasion: Succinct definitions of propaganda and persuasion are given, as well as an original model that illustrates both their commonalities and their differences.
Garth S. Jowett is a professor of communications at the University of Houston. He obtained his PhD in history and communication from the University of Pennsylvania. He has served as the director for social research for the Canadian government's department of communication and has been a consultant to various international communication agencies. He has been widely published in the area of popular culture and the history of communication. His book, Film: The Democratic Art (1976), was a benchmark in film history. His other publications include, Movies as Mass Communication, Children and the Movies: Media Influence and the Payne Fund Studies, and Readings in Propaganda and Persuasion, co-edited with Victoria O'Donnell. He is on the boards of several communication and film journals.show more
*An electronic version of a printed book that can be read on a computer or handheld device designed specifically for this purpose.
Formats for this Ebook
|Required Software||Any PDF Reader, Apple Preview|
|Supported Devices||Windows PC/PocketPC, Mac OS, Linux OS, Apple iPhone/iPod Touch.|
|# of Devices||Unlimited|
|Flowing Text / Pages||Pages|
- PDF | 464 pages
- Garth S. Jowett(Author) Victoria J. O'Donnell(Author)
- SAGE Publications, Inc; 5 edition (9 Jun. 2011)
- Health, Family & Lifestyle
|The message text:|
Your UCAS Personal Statement for Business, Economics, Finance, Management & Accounting: What to write if you want to get in
Dissertation Writing: The Easy Way!: What it Takes to Finish a Dissertation, Dissertation Sections and Section Length Requirements, and Reaping the Rewards of Earning a Doctorate Degree